Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Learning to Tie: Smallie Snacks Hair Jigs




If you are like me, and enjoy chasing smallmouth bass over sand or rocky shallows, there is a bait you need to know about. It's often overlooked, and when it is mentioned it is in hushed tones to ensure other anglers on the docks don't hear what your talking about or worse, see the bait tied on!

The classic Marabou Hair Jig is the drug of choice for smallmouth bass getting their feed on. Its small profile is packed with more motion then a hungry bass can handle, and if your not throwing one, you truly are missing fish.

I was brought into the secret inner circle while fishing a large Canadian smallmouth tournament, the angler that introduced me to them tied his own, to ensure he got the size and colour options he needed for the fish he cased. After the event the hit the shops in search of these now mythical baits but was not able to find any in the smaller 1/8 and 1/4 oz sizes that I wanted to throw, so instead I sat down at my station and learned to tie my own.

The result is a fully customizable bait, that I get to choose the weight, the hook size/shape, the colour, and even how much or how little motion I want to bait to have.  If your interested in learning to tie you own Smallie Snacks, check out my brief how-to video below.






Warning: tying your own baits can be highly addictive, you too may fall victim to the smallie snack.





PS: If you don't have the time or patience to tie up these baits, drop me a line, I'm a licensed Smallie Snack dealer.





No comments:

Post a Comment