Friday, September 28, 2012

It's a Father Son Thing


I've talked about this a few times now, My parents were separated by the time I was 4 years old, and my dad was never one to have a ton of money. So when he had my sister and I for the weekend he had to figure out a way to keep us occupied without going broke.. his idea.. Fishing

Each weekend we would spend saturday morning and afternoon sitting on an old railway bridge with a $2 pack of worms and a red bobber in search of perch, gills and of course bass. As I grew older my fishing prowess advanced past the standard worm and bobber stage, but like any grown fisherman I look back on my past and those days on the bridge with dad with great fondness.

Now that I am older, it is time to give back, or pay it forward, to use a catch phrase. I do this by planning an annual trip with my Dad as well as my 14 year old brother, who was not around when I was a child to enjoy these early father son trips.


This year marked our second annual father son weekend, and the weather did not exactly co-operate. It rained (hard) and the wind blew. These conditions land locked us, but did not stop us from getting out on the water for a couple of hard fought days. As in the past my dad made a routine stop for his bucket of worms (no longer $2) as well as a cup of coffee to keep him warm. We then hit up many local shoreline hot spots in search of active fish..

To keep things interesting we always have a mini competition, 1 pt for each fish caught,  and then arguments over the largest fish ( a scale would be handy here). Yes my dad caught more fish then I did, but my stubbornness to stick with artificial baits may have been my demise . My little brother on the other hand ended the weekend in last place, but his fishing ADD means he spends more time changing lures then actually fishing.



All in all we had a great time over the course of the weekend, picking on each other, eating pizza and talking fishing. Cant ask for a better time then that


No comments:

Post a Comment